As of January 4, 2010 United States Parcel Service sent out a mass email to all USPS online customers about a new update they have made to their system effectively immediately.
"Dear Web Tools integrator,
Effective January 4, 2010, USPS will enact a Price Change. While there will be no structural changes to existing Web Tools requests and responses, there could be other changes that might affect your interface with Web Tools. "
Specifically this changes up the names of some of the methods USPS is offering for online shipping quotes.
WHO DOES THIS EFFECT?
This effects any customers who are using oscommerce and have USPS Real Time Shipping Rates turned on in their sites. If you do not use oscommerce, or do not have USPS turned on, you can ignore this email.
WHAT EXACTLY HAS CHANGED?
USPS has made an update to how their API code base functions when your website calls to their server to get real time shipping quotes. Specifically in addition with some new methods they are offering (now offering flat rate boxes), they have also changed up the names of some of their shipping methods.
HOW DOES THIS EFFECT MY SITE?
Since they have changed the names and some of the services they are offering again (they did this last year too), anyone who does not opt to have the update being offered below applied, there are some instances where a customer may select one shipping method (i.e. Priority), but USPS will return a wrong shipping method with different pricing.
To ensure that any of our oscommerce customers who are using oscommerce and USPS that your shipping rates continue to function properly, we are offering an update package which resolves these issues plus offers allot of additional new functionality. This includes:
1. Update to the USPS methods offered.
2. Update to the USPS method names to avoid issues described above.
3. Shipping insurance is now included as an optional feature for you to turn on / off and allows you to set insurance prices.
4. Owners can add different shipping and handling rates on a per shipping method basis (i.e. add $2 for S&H for express, but $0 for priority).
5. Owners can choose which shipping methods to show / use based upon order weight.
6. Owners can opt to turn PRIORITY FLAT RATE boxes on / off.
Costs for this update package is:
BASIC INSTALLS: For customers who just have a generic USPS installation.
PRICE: $60 per store
CUSTOM INSTALLS: For customers who have had someone do additional customization to their USPS modules.
PRICE: $100 per store
To avoid issues with customers getting back a different shipping method and price than they originally selected during checkout, we highly recommend anyone with oscommerce using USPS have us install this upgraded package.
Estimated completion time to get this package installed is 24 hours average, but subject to change based upon total number of upgrade orders received.
If you are interested in having this package installed, please reply to us with a copy of the questions below with your answers:
1. Do you wish to have this package installed?
2. Do you have a BASIC install or CUSTOM install? (if unsure leave blank)
3. Do you wish to have insurance turned on?
4. Do you wish to have Flat rate boxes turned on? (note: it offers small, medium and large, so please choose which size or all).
5. Payment method: Charge card on file on completion, paypal or check.
Thank you for your attention to this matter and if you have any questions please feel free to contact us to learn more if you are unsure if this effects you or not.